Mileage reimbursement is compensation given by the company to employees who use their personal vehicles to make a business trip. This reimbursement can cover expenses, such as fuel, wear and tear, and maintenance. Thus, employees don’t need to worry about the costs of using their personal vehicles for company purposes. Soldo also offers dedicated fuel payment solutions, such as fuel cards. These features are available in all the markets Soldo operates in.
How can I claim mileage reimbursement in Soldo?
After driving a personal vehicle for work, you can add mileage reimbursement transactions like out-of-pocket expenses. The reimbursement amount is calculated based on distance and the reimbursement rate. Transactions are then reviewed and approved as out-of-pocket expenses.
To simplify the mileage reimbursement process, the Admin and Super Admin can register personal vehicles on Soldo and configure any reimbursement rates. Employees can then add claims for reimbursement by providing the information required. Please note that if an employee prefers not to have their personal vehicle’s details stored in Soldo, they must enter a reimbursement rate during the mileage reimbursement request process.
For Admins/Super Admins: How to configure a vehicle or a list of vehicles
In Soldo, Admins and Super Admins can configure vehicles to easily identify and tag fuel transactions, as well as add reimbursement rates to make it easier and quicker for employees to request mileage reimbursements for driving personal vehicles on work trips.
- Go to ‘Configure’ and select ‘Vehicles’.
- Click ‘Add vehicle’.
- Here you can fill in the vehicle’s registration number plate, and a name/description for easier identification. There are also optional fields for the fuel type.
- Specify if the vehicle is a Personal or Company vehicle, based on who owns the vehicle.
- For Personal vehicles, you can add the fixed reimbursement rate per km or mile as specified. Please note that an employee will not be able to edit this during a mileage reimbursement request. If, however, their vehicle is not listed or the rate is not specified, the employee will need to enter a reimbursement rate.
- Finally, please choose from the VAT deduction options, if applicable.
- Save the vehicle.
For employees: Details to speed up the review process
Make sure you provide as much information as possible to facilitate the review process. Here are the details you'll need:
Distance: the distance you have travelled. You can manually enter the miles or kilometres driven or use the map feature to calculate the distance.
Vehicle: the vehicle you used for your trip.
Reimbursement rate: the rate per mile or km.
Date: the date you started the trip.
Time: the approximate time you started the trip.
Amount reimbursable: the amount you expect to be reimbursed.
Trip description: e.g. A business trip from Rome to Milan.
Attachment (optional): you can add your proof of payment, such as an invoice.
Your note to reviewers: you can type a note to reviewers to provide further information about your trip.
Expense category (optional): you can specify the expense category.
For employees: How to add a mileage reimbursement request
To add a mileage reimbursement request, you’ll need to add it as a transaction.
- Navigate to your transactions list and click on the Plus icon to add a new transaction (+).
- Select ‘Mileage reimbursement’.
- Either enter the distance of the trip manually or use our handy map feature to calculate the distance. If you’re using the map, enter the starting point and destination and select the distance based on the routes provided. You’ll need to specify if the trip was one-way only, a return trip, or whether there were multiple stops. Please note, the distance metric is determined by the market where the company is registered. For example, if your company is registered in the UK, you cannot use kilometres instead of miles when calculating the distance.
- Select the personal vehicle you used for your trip, or if it’s not listed, you can leave this blank. (See below steps for an Admin to add a vehicle into the Soldo account.) If your vehicle is listed, it may already have a reimbursement rate attached to it, which you cannot edit. Otherwise, you’ll need to enter a reimbursement rate per mile or km.
- Next, enter your trip details, including the date and approximate time of the trip. You have the option to enter a description.
- Finally, there are options to add attachments of proof of payments and an expense category.
- Once you're happy with the information provided, click ‘Request reimbursement’.
Review phase (optional)
The mileage reimbursement transaction goes directly to the Expense Review section. Transactions are reviewed and approved in the same way as out-of-pocket expenses and are considered personal payment method transactions.
As with all the other transactions, the mileage reimbursement transaction will be included in an expense report. You only need to go to the ‘Expenses’ section and click on ‘Expense reports’.
You can also find the mileage reimbursement transactions in both sections ‘Users’ and ‘Reports’ by using the filter ‘Transaction type’.