You can split a transaction into multiple line items by following the below steps:
- Navigate to Reports > Transactions
- Select a transaction from the list
- In the transaction detail view on the right, scroll to the “Tax / Category details” section and click on the “Add lines” button
- In the new screen, add the line amount and select the Category and Tax rate. The VAT amount for that line will be calculated automatically.
Note: the amount of each line cannot exceed the total amount of the transaction (which is available at the bottom of the page, under "Total amount (VAT incl.)")
- To add additional lines, simply click on "Add another line" and repeat step 4.
The Total VAT at the bottom of the view is automatically updated with the sum of VAT from all lines.
- Click "Save" to confirm the line items you added
Note: Before you can save your changes, the total amount of the transaction must be accounted for (i.e. the sum of all lines must be equal to the total amount of the transaction).
To edit lines you've previously created you simply need to select the transaction and click on "Edit lines".
A transaction can only be split into multiple lines once its status changes from "Authorised" to "Settled".
When exporting transactions to an accounting integration split lines will be exported along with all other information.
Viewing transactions with multiple lines
A transaction that has been split into multiple line items will look different in the following situations:
- List of transactions :
- The "VAT %" column will be empty
- The "Lists" column will display the tax codes and categories of all lines
- Transaction details view
- Category value is displayed as ‘Multiple’
- Tax Rate value is displayed as ‘Multiple’