Another area of payments that is covered by the Payment Services Directive (PSD2) is how contactless card transactions are managed in relation to Strong Customer Authentication.
What is changing?
From now on, we will be asking for your PIN more often, in line with the new banking regulations. Authorisation using Chip & PIN will be required when making contactless transactions:
- After 5 consecutive transactions; or
- Total transaction value of £135 or above; or
- Any single transaction above £45
Some merchants may ask you to use a different payment method when your contactless declines, but all you need to do is use Chip & PIN to complete your purchase.
Important things to note
· TFL and other city transport is excluded
· Unattended terminals at parking spaces are excluded